How do I start farming? Its a common question. Here are important steps. .
- Select a suitable site
- Decide on the crops to grow depending on the available market and climate.
- Decide on the system you are going to use (open field or greenhouse)
- Carry out land layout taking into consideration roads, irrigation pipelines or buildings because if wrong layout is done it will be difficult and costly to resite.
- Design a rotation programme which you are going to follow.
- Land preparation can now be done taking into account the cost of clearing and preparing the land.
- Consider labour requirements if manual labour is to be used.
- Erect a fence for security purposes
- Plant trees to act as windbreaks in case of strong wind.
- Decide on the location of the compost pit and the nursery area
- Decide on the irrigation method you are going to use.
Courtsey: Seeds of Gold